[GLLUG] Dying Hard Drives

Perry_rg peregryn2356 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 21 15:57:30 EST 2005

Dan,

Having a refrigerator on the same electrical circuit (same circuit breaker in the electrical panel) as a computer system is generally a bad idea.  Powerstrip surge protectors are a bandaid approach and only reduce the amplitude of the surges, unless you have a surge strip with inductors or chokes in addition to the surge protector modules.  And these are not the type you get from your local computer supply or hardware store.  Your best bet is to use a UPS in addition to a surge protector strip, though this is still problematic unless the UPS is an online type rather than a standby type.  The output of an online UPS is always from the inverter (power converter) and the battery, while a standby UPS is only on battery power when the input voltage is outside (above or below) a certain range.  The UPSs that adjust the output voltage to a set range without going on battery run the output through a transformer at least, which does help filter out some voltage transients.

I would also suggest having phone lines, DSL lines, and cable TV lines connected through a surge protector as well.  A spike can come through these lines just as readily as they can through the electrical power lines.

Hope this information has helped.  I have designed several computer room electrical distribution systems in the past and have some experience in this area.  Anyone who wants more information, please feel free to contact me.

Perry Godwin
Thelema Networks
P.O. Box 25005
Lansing, MI 48909-5005
Tel: (517) 485-2544 x3
Email: peregryn2356 at yahoo.com

impact <impact at absoluteinsight.net> wrote:
Funny story, I've been wondering why my silverware has been sticking to
the ceiling...

All the comps are on powerstrip surge protectors, but theres what I
consider to be a _ton_ of stuff plugged in...

And yes, the fridge is on the same strip as one of the comps (my
main)... I assume that was a hint to switch it to a different supply?

-Dan