[GLLUG] Dying Hard Drives

James Zaldivar zaldivarj at michigan.org
Tue Mar 22 10:53:22 EST 2005

"As far as the magnetic theory, I wouldn't buy it.  Chances are it will
start doing crazy stuff to your memory or Chipset/Bios before it damages
your drives, unless of course, you have a refrigerator magnet right on
the drive itself :P"

Even then!  Some of the strongest magnets your average person is ever
likely to encounter can be found on either side of a hdd platter.  You
would have to try pretty hard to find a magnet strong enough to disrupt
the field that's already there.  Refrigerator magnets just don't have
the juice.  Heck - most speaker coils don't have what it takes.

Dan from Dan's Data wrote a couple articles on the subject, they're
pretty good:
http://www.dansdata.com/magnets.htm
http://www.dansdata.com/magnets2.htm
http://www.dansdata.com/gz009.htm

There - I think I've met my daily allotment of nerdy behavior!