[GLLUG] RAID array performance?

impact impact at absoluteinsight.net
Sun May 1 13:27:29 EDT 2005

Alright. Since I've finally gotten a job, this summer I plan to set up a
nice RAID array. I have 4x80gb drives here I'd like to throw in a
RAID-0. Backup will be done on a separate machine, so don't worry about
the "its not safe" factor. I've done RAID in the past, however, not with
4 drives, this puts a little situation before me.

As far as I know, you get better performance when the drives are on
their own controllers. My motherboard only has 2 IDE channels. Now, I
also need to have a 5th (CD/DVD-RW) on there. So an IDE PCI card comes
into play. The question is, how much slower is a PCI IDE card? My
options (at least the ones I've thought of) follow.. Can anyone give me
any ideas about which would be fastest and why?

1: 4xRAID0 on OnBoard IDE (2 per channel), DVD on PCI card
2: 4xRAID0 on 2-channel PCI RAID card, DVD on OnBoard
3: 4xRAID0 on 4-channel PCI RAID card, DVD on OnBoard

I would assume (3) would be the fastest, however, I worry about the
limit on a PCI bus... Would 4xRAID0 hit that limit and cap? How would it
compare to having 4xRAID using the onboard (only 2 channel)?

Anyone have experience in this area? If it didn't cost 50$ for a
4-channel PCI RAID card, I'd just try them all =P, and it might come
down to that =P