[GLLUG] Visio Replacement

Andy Lee ALEE at courts.mi.gov
Mon May 9 15:30:55 EDT 2005

I looked into this same problem a few months ago and couldn't find anything better than Dia. I'm using it for data modeling, so I didn't really need a full Visio replacement, and settled on Oracle's JDeveloper 10g. It has great tools for ERD's and reverse engineering databases. It is a free download and runs equally well on Linux and Windows. Doesn't help you much for flow charting, but, as far as I found, Dia and Open Office are about it for diagraming. Both are good, but not quite as polished as Visio.

>>> "Clay Dowling" <clay at lazarusid.com> 05/09/05 02:27PM >>>
I've nearly won my boss over to using OpenOffice, since he found that
purchasing Office doubles the cost of having a new PC.  If he ditches
Office he can get everybody a new PC, which makes him the hero of the day.

One major kink that we run into is that at least he and I need to use
Visio at times (and other programmers should be using it).  We use it for
flow charting and network diagrams.

Is there a good open source replacement out there for Win32?  I tried Dia,
but found that it did not compare well to Visio, especially for flow
charting.  Likewise I gave OO.o Draw a try, which was a good deal better
but still nowhere near as easy.

We don't have the luxury of switching to Linux machines completely, since
our flagship product is a Windows application and we use Delphi for
development (and no, Kylix isn't an option, having been abandoned by
Borland).  So I'm looking for a good free alternative to Visio.  It's the
only fly in this particular ointment.

Clay
--
Lazarus Notes from Lazarus Internet Development
http://www.lazarusid.com/notes/