[GLLUG] boot strap

tk3000 tk3000 at comcast.net
Mon May 9 17:34:52 EDT 2005

Hello,

I was in the process of doing backups of my hds in the form of images.
But I am in doubt with respect to the area of the hd corresponding to
the boot code/strap; I am extracting the boot code and partition table
separately, which, for the boot strap, would be something like:

A) dd if=/dev/hda of=/mnt/backup.MBRBOOTSTRAPONLY bs=446 count=1
or
B) dd if=/dev/hda of=/mnt/backup.MBRBOOTSTRAPONLY bs=448 count=1

So, my question is: which is the correct, or more correct; or if the 2 bytes
are irrelevant (being one of those reserved areas defined at the time the xt
was launched, and never being used...). I have some sources that indicate 446
and others that indicate 448; so, I am not quite sure.

Thanks in advance,
Pedro Wald
--
Knowledge is the power and currency of the virtual world we inhabit. -Bil Idol
On reiserfs we trust.