[GLLUG] Anybody have experience with NETATALK

Sean O'Malley picasso at madflower.com
Mon Sep 26 09:41:46 EDT 2005

There is an issue with some versions of netatalk and file locking of the
db files for multiple access. IE the .Applexxx files.

It sounds like a file locking/multiple access issue with the
Finder/resource fork stuff. (the .AppleXXX files or db stuff).

There are like 3-4 ways to compile netatalk to use different systems to
connect to the server depending on the version of AppleTalk used to
connect to the server.

What I personally would try is unmounting all the shares, then mount
holding down the shift key. Theoretically, this should rebuild those
files. If you do the rm stuff to delete the .db files, you need to make
sure netatalk is not running.

There are some compile time options where you might be able to choose a
scheme that is better suited to multiple simultaneous access. I am not
sure if you can specify this in the afpd.conf file or not at run time.

There also used to be an issue with Berkely 4.x. I am not sure if that is
still an issue or not.

Sean