[GLLUG] nslookup and dig

Jason Folkens jason at acd.net
Wed Apr 12 14:30:49 EDT 2006

if it is a new domain, sometimes the registrar is a little bit delayed in writing that change to the root dns servers.  Network Solutions, for example, runs all the domain transfers/updates/etc in a batch ever 24 hours.

run a whois query to find out wether or not the root servers have the latest DNS servers for the respective domain.  The authoritative DNS servers for the specific domain are usually listed at the bottom.    If they aren't correct, then it's just a waiting game.

if whois returns the correct DNS server, then run dig, using the @ parameter to specify the remote server (instead of your default).   If it returns the correct address, then you've probably got an invalid cache on one of the following

1) local machine cache --- not sure how to fix this in linux, but in windows, run ipconfig /flushdns
2) browser cache (iexplore has its own cache that is distinct from the OS... not sure about mozilla though)
3) invalid cache in the dns servers that you have specified in resolv.conf.