[GLLUG] Call for Volunteer Schedules

Charles Tower c.e.tower at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 00:17:30 EDT 2006

A lot of you have volunteered to help out with GLLUG's computer lounge
at Penguicon, and we all appreciate it.  Now that Penguicon is less than
ten days away, it's time to make more concrete plans.  We need people to
help set up the lounge, man it during the convention, and dismantle it
after the convention is over.  After you have looked over the programs
and decided which ones you would like to attend, please e-mail me with
the time periods you are _available_ and willing to be in the computer
lounge; I won't assign you to huge blocks of time, but I'll need some
flexibility to piece together full coverage.  Also, if your name is not
apparent from your e-mail address, please let me know your name so that
there will be no ambiguity as to who is scheduled for those time periods.

The schedule of events may be found at these URLs

     http://www.penguicon.org/programming/

     http://peanut.mtu.net/penguicon

You can decide which format is more useful to you.

The lounge needs to be staffed twenty-four hours a day by "security"
personnel, who are there mainly to prevent the theft of our equipment.
They will not be the enforcers of security, but will merely summon hotel
security if necessary.  That means we'll need people there from noon on
Friday, the 21st, through noon on Sunday, the 23rd, for security
purposes.  We'll also have a "tech support" person on-duty in the lounge
from noon until 10:00 p.m. on Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. on
Saturday, and 10:00 a.m. until we pack up the equipment on Sunday, which
should be about noon.  Tech support volunteers need only very basic
Linux and networking knowledge.

It would be great if you could volunteer to either set up the lounge at
9:00 a.m. on Friday or to take down the lounge on Sunday beginning
around noon.  If you could also man the lounge as the security agent for
an hour on Friday, two on Saturday, and another hour on Sunday, and as
the tech support person for an hour on both Friday and Saturday, that
would be even more helpful.  Also, if you haven't volunteered to help
out before now, please feel free to join in; we're not an exclusive
club, and the qualifying examinations are short.

Even if all you come to the Penguicon for is to support GLLUG by
volunteering your time, you'll need to register for the convention.  If
you haven't done so already, you can register at the door, and one-day
registrations are available if you want to save some money.  If the
Penguicon makes money (as they reportedly have every year so far),
volunteers who work sixteen or more hours that weekend will be eligible
for reimbursement of their registration costs.

In short, if you could let me know (all via e-mail) your name, what
hours you're available (not what programs you want to attend), and if
you can help set up or take down the lounge, I would appreciate it very
much.
--

                                Chick

P.S.  If anyone wants to share a room, and is looking for roommates, let
me know and I'll try to coordinate that, unless someone else has already
undertaken this task.