[GLLUG] SD flash memory cards

Brian Beck beckbria at msu.edu
Thu Apr 20 17:36:35 EDT 2006

Charles Ulrich wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I recently purchased a really nifty camera that unfortunately has less
> than stellar Linux support. (gphoto2 supports it, but only in the
> development branch. Their latest stable release was almost a year ago
> which does not bode well for near-future support for my camera.)
>
> The camera uses SD flash memory cards which are nice because they're
> small and insanely cheap. Unfortunately, I read somewhere that SD card
> readers have no open source drivers because the interface for them is
> proprietary. I don't know if this applies to USB SD card readers. Does
> anyone know if a USB SD card reader will be recognized as a standard
> USB mass storage device or if even those need special drivers?

USB readers are recognized as a standard USB mass storage device.  As a
matter of fact, I've got one with a 512MB card connected to my machine
right now.  I can't tell a brand anywhere (Model No. CR-V7-UD; I thought
it was a Belkin, but it doesn't say so anywhere and may be a Generic),
but it works great.