[GLLUG] tentative schedule

Charles Ulrich charles at idealso.com
Thu Aug 10 00:36:43 EDT 2006

Caleb Cushing wrote:
> is there a copy of the upcoming schedule on gllug.org <http://gllug.org>
> (besides list archives). if not maybe one could get put up? also maybe
> allow it to sign people up for demo's? or even add something they want
> to do and when?

Funny you ask. I've been trying to come up a better way of managing the
meeting schedule. In particular, I am hoping to achieve two goals:

1) Allow visitors to easily review upcoming meetings, and

2) Have meeting announcements get posted automatically to the mailing
list and website.

Well, I had a bit of spare time last night and implemented #1 in the
form of an embedded Google calendar. Check out the website and click
"Calendar" in the list of links on the left-hand side of the page. Note
that I haven't gotten the complete schedule online yet.

Unfortunately, it isn't perfect... the Agenda view makes the most sense,
but the bloody thing only shows events occuring in the next 30 days even
when there's plenty of room to list more.

On the upside, it comes with a few cool features... Visitors with their
own Google calendar can add the GLLUG calendar to their account. There's
an RSS link to keep track of upcoming events in one's own favorite feed
reader, and there's also a link to subscribe to the calendar with any
scheduling application that understands iCal. (To my knowledge, the iCal
thing works like RSS but with calendars specifically in mind.) The
Google calendar does have a way to send email notifications, but I
haven't tested it yet.

To address your other idea, allowing others to add events directly to
the site, I'm not sure if that would be a good idea. We don't want
events and things popping up on the calendar and catching somebody
(notably, me) by surprise.

--
Charles Ulrich
Ideal Solution, LLC -- http://www.idealso.com