[GLLUG] hosting a linux mirror

Alec Warner warnera6 at egr.msu.edu
Thu Aug 10 09:55:30 EDT 2006

Caleb Cushing wrote:
> I know that msu has a debian mirror hosted within there domain. does
> anyone know who manages this? would it be possible to get them to host
> other distributions (thinking gentoo/ubuntu/others)? if not maybe the
> group could set up a mirror in town here if we could get someone to
> donate bandwidth. would anyone be interested in that?

MSU has a local mirror for it's internal use, but I don't think it will
be opened to the public at this time.

I talked to Gentoo's mirror-admin's about it and they said this area was
all set on mirrors.  For gentoo, using

http://gentoo.chem.wisc.edu/gentoo/

should net you a 100mbit connection (I routinely download at 5 or 6 MB/s)