[GLLUG] Meeting Thursday, August 24

Thomas Hruska thruska at cubiclesoft.com
Mon Aug 21 16:50:18 EDT 2006

Charles Ulrich wrote:
> Another weekly GLLUG meeting is scheduled to be held at the Gone Wired
> cybercafe in Lansing at 6:00PM. Gone Wired is at 2021 E Michigan Ave
> in Lansing on the north side of the street between N Clemens and
> Fairview avenues. Here is a map with the (approximate) location:
>
> http://maps.google.com/maps?q=2021+E+Michigan+Ave,+Lansing,+MI
>
> We typically meet in the back portion of the cafe on the lower level.
> Venue website: http://www.gonewiredlansing.com/
>
> Please take a moment to RSVP if you plan to attend this meeting so
> that we can get a general idea of how many will show up. Just reply to
> this message (with the GLLUG list address in the "To:" field)
> indicating your desire to attend and/or change the message Subject to
> "RSVP". Thanks!

RSVP.

This week's topic is apparently "Optimization:  System Tuning" according
to the calendar.  Last week's meeting had a large number of people show
up and we sat in a totally different area of the cafe (just for kicks).
  Someone noted that more people show up on non-agenda nights.  We had a
good laugh at that comment but it is true.  I have noticed that agenda
nights tend to have fewer people show up.  Maybe it is just really bad
timing or maybe deep down in the subconscious people think, "oh, I'm not
interesting in that topic or that speaker is sooo boring - I think I'll
stay home this week".  I'd like to think that the meetings are just good
"hang out" places to get away from the daily grindstone.  Who cares if
the speaker is "boring" or the topic is uninteresting?  There's plenty
of time to chat about stuff.  And the agenda isn't necessarily static -
neither is the speaker.  Good friendly folk.  Free food.  Nice environment.

Those are my reasons to show up besides the speaker and topic.  This
group is a really nifty bunch of people with a wide variety of different
interests and goals.  I'm planning on going this week even though I'm
not all that interested in the topic (unless we're talking about
optimizing out 3 minutes from the boot up/shutdown cycle - that would
probably interest a number of Ubuntu users in the group...especially
since we bring laptops to the meetings).

--
Thomas Hruska
CubicleSoft President

Safe C++ Design Principles (First Edition)
Learn how to write memory leak-free, secure,
portable, and user-friendly software.

Learn more and view a sample chapter:
http://www.CubicleSoft.com/SafeCPPDesign/