[GLLUG] putty titlebar

Mike Reed mike at mreed.org
Tue Aug 22 13:02:09 EDT 2006

> no... it reads a some sort of a DNS hostname.domainname
> record. but I'm not
> sure how it determines that. could be localsetting could
> be forward lookup
> reverse lookup. am I missing anything? how would I
> determine.
>
> On 8/22/06, Charles Ulrich < charles at idealso.com> wrote:
>>
>> Caleb Cushing wrote:
>> > when using putty to ssh where does it get the info
>> from  that's in the
>> > title bar? seems I've been cracked. I need to be more
>> paranoid. but
>> > first I need to figure out how much damage was caused.
>>
>> At a guess, it's probably reading the escape sequences
>> mentioned here:
>>

>> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prompt-HOWTO/xterm-title-bar-manipulations.html
>> --
>> Charles Ulrich
>> Ideal Solution, LLC -- http://www.idealso.com
>>

>From the PuTTY User Manual, Section 4.9.1: Controlling the
window title --

The ‘Window title’ edit box allows you to set the title of
the PuTTY window. By default the window title will contain
the host name followed by ‘PuTTY’, for example
server1.example.com - PuTTY. If you want a different
window title, this is where to set it.

PuTTY allows the server to send xterm control sequences
which modify the title of the window in mid-session
(unless this is disabled - see section 4.6.5); the title
string set here is therefore only the initial window
title.

As well as the window title, there is also an xterm
sequence to modify the title of the window's icon. This
makes sense in a windowing system where the window becomes
an icon when minimised, such as Windows 3.1 or most X
Window System setups; but in the Windows 95-like user
interface it isn't as applicable.

By default, PuTTY only uses the server-supplied window
title, and ignores the icon title entirely. If for some
reason you want to see both titles, check the box marked
‘Separate window and icon titles’. If you do this, PuTTY's
window title and Taskbar caption will change into the
server-supplied icon title if you minimise the PuTTY
window, and change back to the server-supplied window
title if you restore it. (If the server has not bothered
to supply a window or icon title, none of this will
happen.)