[GLLUG] remix? - timing tangent

Andy Lee ALEE at courts.mi.gov
Fri Aug 25 10:37:28 EDT 2006

>>> "Mike Reed" <mike at mreed.org> 5/24/2006 4:37:51 PM >>>
Make sure that you're using a constant bit rate (CBR)
setting for your encoding.  Some programs have problems
reading VBR (variable) header info, which can result in
strange duration readings/handling.

Mike

This thread died a few months ago, but I know others were experiencing similar issues, so I wanted to let people know, and pass a thank you to Mike, that bit rate was the issue. We were using VBR with the LAME encoder, and Windows Media Player couldn't figure out the timing. After changing to CBR files play back as they should, but are slightly larger.

Thanks,
 Andy