[GLLUG] Registry Backup

nathan at ilothlorien.com nathan at ilothlorien.com
Sat Aug 26 23:09:58 EDT 2006

> yeah I know... linux group. anyone have a preferred way to make a
> backup of the windows registry that can be used to restore from later?

For quick backups of small sections or easy editing of the registry, you
can use the import/export functions. Just right click on a reg-key and
choose export. You can then edit the text file. New keys are added,
matching keys are updated and any key that begins with a negative sight
following the bracket is deleted. To completely update a section, copy the
top key and add the negative sign to the top copy.

Like so...
[-KeyNameToBeDeleted]

Then File->Import to ... well ... import a file.

I plan to use this little trick to clean up the Add Remove Programs list
after a recent Windows Update experience (three nights, 77 hot fixes and
XP Service Pack 2 via dial-up).

The reg key containing the Add/Remove Programs list (from memory):
HKLM/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Unistall

 Nathan Hartley
 http://iLothlorien.com