[GLLUG] Pizza Protocol

Thomas Hruska thruska at cubiclesoft.com
Sun Aug 27 06:52:01 EDT 2006

Charles Tower wrote:
> I have seen it mentioned here that one of the incentives to attend our
> weekly GLLUG meetings is free pizza.  I don't mean to belittle anyone
> who wrote that, but the pizzas are not free (as in beer).  Jeff Lawton
> pays for them when he picks them up, and whether it comes out of his own
> pocket or an Ideal Solutions account doesn't matter to me; it doesn't
> seem fair that one entity should continuously subsidize our pizza.  You
> know there are no dues to join GLLUG, and nobody at the meetings charges
> you by the slice, but kicking in a few bucks for the pizza fund every
> now and then would be the decent thing to do.  I have seen that happen
> in the past, and Jeff didn't seem humiliated or offended by it in the
> least.
>
>                                Chick

I realize the pizza isn't free-free.  I only take one slice and not at
every meeting and usually after everyone else is done (i.e. its getting
cool).  Leftover Little Caesar's pizza is pretty gross when reheated and
I hate seeing food go to waste.  (I'm making the assumption that Little
Caesar's is still doing the $5 Hot-n-Ready pizza thing - well, closer to
$5.50 after tax).  I don't have a lot of spare cash but I was thinking
of putting in a few dollars to offset the cost of the upcoming
Installfest.  I'm also assuming we're going to have a good number of
people show up (what's a good number:  20-30?).  Hungry and wanting
food, drink, and eager to learn about Linux at the same time.  Someone
(Caleb?) said that buying stuff at the cafe is good too because they
host us.  Which I would probably have done already if I drank coffee.
I've seen other things as well but very little sparks my palette (if we
met at Ivanhoe's then it would be a VERY different story and I'd be VERY
broke - http://local.yahoo.com/details?id=16036472).

BTW, when I saw the subject line I thought, "oh dear - someone wants
another RFC2324" (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2324.txt).  (RFC2324 is a
"joke" RFC and not a real protocol - but your sense of humor has to be
programmer-oriented and have your feet mired in RFC terminology to truly
appreciate it.  As a protocol, 2324 is kind of buggy.)

--
Thomas Hruska
CubicleSoft President

Safe C++ Design Principles (First Edition)
Learn how to write memory leak-free, secure,
portable, and user-friendly software.

Learn more and view a sample chapter:
http://www.CubicleSoft.com/SafeCPPDesign/