[GLLUG] Passwords

Thomas Hruska thruska at cubiclesoft.com
Thu Aug 31 11:54:54 EDT 2006

Asenchi wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I thought I'd pass this link along as I find it fascinating.
>
> http://www.lockdown.co.uk/?pg=combi&s=articles
>
>                   -Asenchi
>                   asenchi at asenchi.com

Interesting but the average user has a 1GHz PC these days (the author
shows stats for the Pentium 100).  Class D is probably the most
"appropriate" to look at.  However, my passwords are completely random
and _at least_ 15 alphanumeric characters in length (it easily
approaches 40 character passwords).  The only limitations are
software-based - usually a website designer's fault.

Although, based on that website, my average password length tells me it
will take about 170 Septillion years on today's hardware before I have
to extend it.  Someone's more likely to crack SSL before they'd try to
brute force any of my passwords.

--
Thomas Hruska
CubicleSoft President

Safe C++ Design Principles (First Edition)
Learn how to write memory leak-free, secure,
portable, and user-friendly software.

Learn more and view a sample chapter:
http://www.CubicleSoft.com/SafeCPPDesign/