Fwd: [GLLUG] IPV6

Asenchi asenchi at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 13:05:51 EDT 2006

On 8/31/06, Adam McDougall <mcdouga9 at egr.msu.edu> wrote:
> I realize more apps are gaining IPv6 support, but if I don't have an IPv6
> speaking server to talk to, or IPv6 clients to talk to me, theres no
> benefit for me.  IPv6 won't magically start working out of the box until
> most ISPs support it to the client (I know you can tunnel, but unlike
> Windows, I don't think any unix distributions take it upon themselves to
> open you up to the greater IPv6 with a gratuitious tunnel).  I don't want
> my computer exposed to IPv6 or consuming resources for it until I am
> fully ready to make use of it.

I understand the usefulness, but since those programs have it built
it, the hassle of getting them to work with out IPv6 loaded in the
kernel I think out weighs disabling it.

Also, regarding the network thing, IPv6 is extremely easy to block.
For example, if you are using pf:

block inet6 all

or if you already have a deny all firewall stance, you could just do:

block all

and then your pass rules below that.  By default pf blocks all
networks unless specified otherwise.
--
The risk of insult is the price of clarity.