[GLLUG] Penguicon Gaming Machines for Computer room

Caleb Cushing xenoterracide at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 03:16:06 EST 2006

I'd like to have 5 or more gaming machines preferably 2 or 3 that are
"high end" or at least mid range by today's gaming standards.

for the high end systems I'd like them to have at least

64-bit 3GHz processor (or equivalent)
Geforce 7600 or greater
40GB HD
1GB DDR RAM
Linux Compatable sound card. if you have a creative labs audigy.. or
sound blaster even better.

I'd also like to have a few lower end systems because I know we can
have more games working on them... plus the hardware will be easier to
obtain.

the lower end systems should have at least
32-bit 2ghz processor.
ATI 8500 or greater (basically looking for something with at least 128
MB of video memory)
40 GB HD
512 MB Ram
linux compatable sound

all will want 100 Mbit ethernet cards or greater.

the 2 higher end systems are going to be my showoff systems. hopefully
I don't need more specs by the time penguicon comes around.

I'll only need the machines for the duration of penguicon, and maybe a
few days before so I can set them up. I may handle the HD part of it
just so I can make images.

Games planned
Doom 3 (native)
NeverWinter Nights (native) (unless I decide it runs better the other way)
NWN 2 (maybe runs like crap here and prob doesn't work under cedega or wine yet)
HL2 & counterstrike source
Diablo 2
StarCraft
WarCraft 3
C&C Red Alert 2
C&C Generals
freeciv
quake 4 & 3 (I need to appropriate a couple of copies of quake 4 for
this and quake 3)
maybe xwing vs tie fighter or freespace (anyone have freespace 2?)

any one know if rise of nations or rise of legends work in cedega or
wine? I doubt it but maybe.

any other game requests? anyone know if world of warcraft can be
installed for people to log into if they have accounts on a couple of
the machines? or would we need more than one cd key. also in order to
attempt to keep this legal if anyone else has copies of these it would
be nice to... borrow the licenses (eg. cd keys) for the duration of
penguicon.

finally
jason green
if you can get transgaming to help out with hardware or licenses or
anything it would be appreciated.

P.S. yes I know this is early. but maybe you can get some of this for
christmas. *wink*