[GLLUG] Hard Disk Imaging

Andy Lee ALEE at courts.mi.gov
Thu Dec 21 11:47:06 EST 2006

We've used partimage reliably for over a year to image win2k and xp
drives. You won't find a Linux based solution that confidently supports
NTFS, but experience shows that partimage works well. It's certainly
worth testing once to see if you can backup and restore your particular
image.

>>> "Clay Dowling" <clay at lazarusid.com> 12/21/2006 9:07 AM >>>
I'm looking for a reliable, fast tool for hard disk imaging.  I'm not
wanting to pay any money.

I have an NTFS drive that I need to re-virgin several times a day
while
testing an install.  I have access to Norton Ghost, but to be honest
version 10, which I'm using, is a major pain in the tail.  I'm
currently
using g4u off the Ultimate Boot CD, but it takes half an hour to
re-virgin
the disk and that can get old when it's a small tweak that I need to
make
in my install.

I absolutely need the solution to place the images on a network and
retrieve them from a network, because we don't have a machine with a
spare
hard disk to store the image.  I need it to work reliably with NTFS
(PartImage comes with gigantic warning signs about NTFS).

Clay
--
Simple Content Management
http://www.ceamus.com