[GLLUG] Security Cameras for Christmas!

Jason Folkens jason at acd.net
Wed Dec 27 14:24:08 EST 2006

Hello again.

I've got a sweet idea that I want to run past you guys for suggestions.

I got a wireless security camera for christmas.   I laugh at it because its
a wireless security camera...  (ie...  anyone can flood the radio channel
that it runs over and effectively negate its use for security purposes), but
I want to use it anyway.  If you are interested in deploying one of these,
they are pretty cheap at Sams Club right now...

But anyway, the reciever has an output for the funky white-and-yellow A/V
cables that are for sale virtually everwhere.   I want to take that cable,
and input it into a linux box running one of those MythTV linux boxes.

I want to store the video both on the hard drive (in whatever compressed
format is supported by MythTV) and also pass the video out as streaming
video to an application that supports webcam streams (so I can watch the
premisis when I'm at work, or on vacation...   or potentially even record
the video stream offsite so the "evidence" can't be tampered with.

Has anyone played around with MythTV to a degree that they can say how
difficult this is going to be for me?  I've never deployed a MythTV box
before, so its kinda like looking into fog.

Thanks in advice,

-- Jason