[GLLUG] Security Cameras for Christmas!

Bruce Smith blubdog at gmail.com
Wed Dec 27 22:09:56 EST 2006

I did something similar with a web cam, where I had it setup in my
house to spy on my dogs while I was at work.

Instead of MythTV, I used a package called "motion" on Linux.  See:
http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/Motion/WebHome

It was perfect for my application because it can be set to only record
when it detects motion, and skips recording when nothing is happening.
 You can set how sensitive it is to motion (how many pixels have to
change between frames) so things like movement of the sun across the
sky won't cause it to record.  I used all the default values, which
worked fine for me.

It should work for any camera that uses the standard Video-for-Linux
drivers (same as MythTV).  And 'motion' is much easier to setup than
MythTV (I've done both).  Highly recommended!

 - BS