[GLLUG] Keyboard & mouse problems

pdwald pdwald at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 20:23:38 EST 2006

It may be the allocation of resources. You could try to reallocate
reources; the BIOS allocate resources in some order and fashion it is
not always optimum, especially when you install some device at later
time when some arrangement of allocation is already in place. Most BIOS
have a feature that allows you to reset the allocation scheme which
would force it to reallocate resouces as whole rather than obeying  a
timeline where the vast majority of the resources had already been
allocated beforehand and therefore were compromised. Since they are USB
devices you could try to change the IRQ assignment to USB. You may also
consider dealing with PIRQ rather than IRQ: some PCI slots and
peripherals connected to the BUS share the same IRQ; for instance, in my
motherboard (ABIT NF7-S2) PCI-slot-1 and PCI-slot-5 share the same IRQ
which means they are in the same PIRQ. SATA may use the same signal path
that PIRQ_1. You can also try to fiddle with  the PCI latency time on
the BIOS. Flash the BIOS for a new version if available. Maybe disabling
API features such wake-up related to the USB devices could help. Also
remember that IRQs on the PCI start over after the 4th PCI slot, so the
1st and 5th PCI slot share with the AGP, etc. Also be wary of which
slots share the same IRQ with the USB controller. Bottom line IRQ
shareing can cause performance issues.The USB host controller uses the
only one IRQ, so your mouse and keyboard shall be using the same IRQ,
but it should not be an issue. Hope it helped.
Pedro Wald