[GLLUG] Penguicon Computer Lounge Update

Charles Ulrich charles at idealso.com
Fri Feb 24 15:07:36 EST 2006

Item 1: Penguicon Computer Lounge Meetings

At last night's GLLUG meeting, Stan made the suggestion that we work on
Penguicon computer lounge activities seperate from regular GLLUG
meetings. After some discussion, we decided that this made sense because
the social coffee shop atmosphere has never really worked well for
actually getting things done. Thus, we'll be holding meetings in DeWitt
where we volunteers can assemble to get the lounge ready for Penguicon
4.0. You don't necessarily have to attend the Penguicon or GLLUG
meetings in order to contribute to our effort, but it might make it easier.

The first Penguicon meeting will be held at the Ideal Solution office at
615 W Main St in DeWitt on Tuesday, February 28. If you're coming from
Bridge St, look for the white mailbox on the left-hand side of the road.
(See Link 1 below for a Google Map.) These meetings will likely be held
weekly until either everything is done or until the con begins. If you
want to help in any way, simply drop by sometime around 6PM and stay as
long as you like. No RSVP is required.

For our first meeting, we'll be creating a master schedule and expanding
on the list of things which need to be done. We'll also get a start on
some of the terminals for the terminal server.

Item 2: Penguicon Wiki

To keep up to date on what's going on, check out our Computer Lounge
page on the Penguicon Wiki (link #2 below). The wiki is not
world-editable so if you have any corrections, suggestions, comments, or
questions about the wiki page, just send an email to me or the GLLUG
mailing list.

Item 3: Manning Schedule

Chick Tower has offered to maintain the manning schedule for those who
can volunteer their time in the lounge during the con. The official
Penguicon program schedule should be available at about this time next
month. As soon as you have a clear idea of which 1/2-hour blocks of time
you can give us, send them to Chick at c.e.tower at gmail.com. Be generous
if you can, because even with 8 or 9 people, it's going to be tough to
keep the lounge manned at all times.

Basically, we'll need three classes of Lounge Volunteers:

- Setup Volunteers: Assist with the setup/teardown of lounge. We'll aim
for setting up the lounge starting at 9AM to 10AM on Friday and
hopefully be done by noon. Teardown will begin at 3PM on Sunday.

- Technical Volunteers: Troubleshoot equipment, help users, answer
questions, and so on. We probably won't need a tech volunteer in the
room at all times, but we should probably have one or two in there all
day friday in case there are any last-minute or surprise issues. If
everything's relatively stable and few problems are encountered, we can
cut back on techs. Should have basic knowledge of Linux and networking.

- Security Volunteers: Keep an eye on the lounge to make sure nothing
grows legs. Security volunteers can't also be techs during the same
shift because someone could get smart enough to occupy the person with
some random technical question while a cohort makes off with a laptop.
We'll need at least one security volunteer in the lounge at all times.

As you send your times to Chick, let him know whether you can be there
for setup or teardown and whether you want specific blocks of time or
whether you want him to schedule everything for you.

That's all for now, hope I remembered everything...

1) http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=615+W+Main+St,+dewitt,+MI
2) http://wiki.penguicon.org/ComputerLounge

--
Charles Ulrich