[GLLUG] Ubuntu on damaged hardware...

Sean O'Malley picasso at madflower.com
Thu Jul 13 09:18:12 EDT 2006

This is just a wild guess, but i suspect the "bad sector error" is
referring to the actual cd-rom. Here is the starter list of
tests I would probably try. As always feel free to edit, disregard, or
disagree. :)

test the cdrom drive and media, boot into winders, and try copying the
entire Ubuntu cd to the harddrive (or if windows can't read it, try
another cd you burned that is full and windows can read.). If that doesn't
work... try doing it again with a factory cd-rom, if neither work...  i
would suspect the cd-rom drive.

-get one of the discs with the brushes on it, let it clean the lenses.

If the factory worked and ubuntu didnt...

-Try burning the cd at like 2x-4x. It takes forever, but the older cd-rom
drives have a hard time reading the media that was burned at a faster
speeds because the tracks arent burned in as deeply on the disc.

-Try using different media. Sometimes the lasers don't pick up the colors
very well. And sometimes they had problems reading the 700M media.

If both copies worked, which indicates a good cd-rom drive..

-run memtest x86 on it at least overnight. The guess here is that ubuntu
is using physical ram as swap space. However, there should be an
indication as to what -drive- it is referring to with bad sectors.
It might also be having issues with the high density ram.

If it passes memtest x86, try an older version of a linux Live CD.
It might not have enough ram to get a working swap and a working OS
especially if it is using shared memory for graphics. IIRC there was also
an issue with kernels larger then 1M in size on the older pentiums, but I
think that was an issue in software somewhere.

This probably shouldnt be last but along the same lines, it might actually
have flipped to text mode, then choked on the graphics chip and just quit
displaying.