[GLLUG] Meeting Schedule and stuff

Charles Ulrich charles at idealso.com
Sun Jul 30 00:56:50 EDT 2006

Greetings all. Brain-dump time.

Here (again) is the upcoming meeting schedule. Hopefully soon, this will
be up on the gllug.org website once I get my act together and set up a
proper calendar. Also looking forward to not being on the road for half
the week again.

As you can tell, we have quite a few meetings listed below with not even
a single presenter. Those are the ones where we need your help. You
don't even have to be a *good* presenter. Take our next meeting, for
instance. Have you ever used rsync before? Well guess what? You're now a
backup guru! Just send me an email indicating your desire to help the
group learn a thing or two. We also have a few openings for off-topic
meetings sprinkled throughout the year.

Last week's Penguicon meeting was put off for a couple reasons. The
first being that it was too darn hot to try and do anything productive.
The second was that I didn't have access to any of my notes or
documentation for the previous year. About once or twice a month (or
more), we'll be holding Penguicon committee meetings after the main
presentation to plan for next year's computer lounge.

Installfest. We're targeting the college crowd and thus are aiming for
September 7th. Jeff or I need to clear it with the cafe and we need to
get some advertising going. Flyers, newpapers and circulars, radio, even
TV. If anybody has ever placed ads on those last three media, we'd like
your input. Wanna help? Have any neat ideas? Let me know or respond on
the list. Let's see if we can also get 50 or so each of Ubuntu and
Kubuntu discs shipped for the Installfest.

Frank: I'm ready for more articles for the website whenever you get the
chance to send them.

August - Sysadmin Month
03: Backups
10: Disaster Recovery [Charles]
17: File systems
24: Optimization, System Tuning [Caleb?]
31: Linux in Law Enforcement [Michael Harrington]

September - Beginners' Month
07: Installfest
14: Linux Help Workshop [Caleb]
21: KDE/GNOME [Charles]
28: Basic CLI [Caleb]

October - Productivity Month
05: Web/Email/IM
12: OpenOffice (w/ KOffice appendix)
19: GIMP and other graphics apps
26: Using Peripherals (CD burning, scanners, printers, cameras, etc)

November - Text Processing Month
02: vi
09: Regular Expressions
16: Sed/Awk/Grep