[GLLUG] Gentoo 2006.0

Jeremy Bowers jerf at jerf.org
Wed Mar 1 11:45:50 EST 2006

Charles Ulrich wrote:
> BTW, I tried the new installer LiveCD last night. Works pretty well and
> is MUCH better than typing in all the various commands needed to get a
> Gentoo system up. The biggest annoyance is that they need a much better
> interface for selecting USE flags.

I wonder if it isn't time for a re-think of that system. I've been using
Gentoo as my only distro for a while now, and I still really like it, but:

http://www.gentoo.org/dyn/use-index.xml

is a bit much, when the expected interface is "type all the ones you
want in one line in a config file". Also, don't get it wrong, like by
missing "mozdevelop" to get the mozilla debugger, or your entire Mozilla
compile is a waste of time if you absolutely need the debugger.
(Incidentally, while "mozdevelop" isn't on that list, I still see it in
the latest Mozilla ebuild, so that rather long list isn't even complete.
Mozilla for instance has: "mozcalendar mozdevelop moznocompose moznoirc
moznomail mozsvg", none in that list.)

It does stabilize after a while, but if you've got specific needs, it
can take a little while to work out which USE flags you need.