[GLLUG] Record CPU usage

Charles Ulrich charles at idealso.com
Wed Mar 8 16:28:28 EST 2006

Jeremy Gransden wrote:
> HI,
>
> Is there a utility to record the cpu usage and what process is using it?
> I am getting weird cpu usage spikes while I am at work, but I do not get
> them at home. It seems to be tied to Evolution (i have m$ exchange mail
> at work and i do not run it when i take the computer home.)

If you have a program that can graph the CPU usage, just run top and set
the refresh interval (-d) to whatever you need in order to catch the
process that's causing the spikes. Watch the graph and when it spikes or
is about to, keep on eye on top to see which process floats to the, er, top.

--
Charles Ulrich
Ideal Solution, LLC -- http://www.idealso.com