[GLLUG] Gentoo

Michael Harrington HarringM at michigan.gov
Tue Mar 14 10:17:43 EST 2006

I'd be really interested in an ebuild how-to at a GLLUG meeting....

Alec Joseph Warner wrote:
> I would suggest learning a lot about how the package management works,
> I'm the developer who primarily manages the portage docs at this point,
> and I've been looking to revamp them as they generally assume knowledge
> that normal users don't have.
[snip]
> If you need to roll your own packages, ebuilds are easy to write, and
> fit snugly in a portage overlay for your emerging convenience.  This
> certainly takes some time to learn ( I am no ebuild master myself ) but
> is worth it if you do a lot of ebuild modifications.

Would you be willing at some point to give a presentation on the basics
of constructing and maintaining ebuilds? You're certainly right about
the docs. Numerous times I've wanted to write or tinker with an ebuild,
but the docs don't seem geared towards non-developers and I've always
wondered if that was intentional. ;)

--
Charles Ulrich
Ideal Solution, LLC -- http://www.idealso.com