[GLLUG] Gentoo

Alec Joseph Warner warnera6 at egr.msu.edu
Tue Mar 14 12:19:53 EST 2006

Charles Ulrich wrote:
> Alec Joseph Warner wrote:
>
>> I would suggest learning a lot about how the package management works,
>> I'm the developer who primarily manages the portage docs at this
>> point, and I've been looking to revamp them as they generally assume
>> knowledge that normal users don't have.
>
> [snip]
>
>> If you need to roll your own packages, ebuilds are easy to write, and
>> fit snugly in a portage overlay for your emerging convenience.  This
>> certainly takes some time to learn ( I am no ebuild master myself )
>> but is worth it if you do a lot of ebuild modifications.
>

> Would you be willing at some point to give a presentation on the basics
> of constructing and maintaining ebuilds? You're certainly right about
> the docs. Numerous times I've wanted to write or tinker with an ebuild,
> but the docs don't seem geared towards non-developers and I've always
> wondered if that was intentional. ;)

You assume I'm good at writing ebuilds, which is a bad assumption :),
but if people are interested I can give an overview sometime.  The
docs...pretty much it's best to look at
/usr/portage/profiles/skel.ebuild and kinda play with it a bit.  There
are some very impotant concepts that the docs don't cover well,
specifically how eclasses work and how the cache works that a lot of new
ebuild writers mess up the first couple of times.

The question then would be, when is this happening?

-Alec Warner