[GLLUG] root passwd recovery AIX 3

Christian J. Patterson IBMCATE captain_blie at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 15 10:31:28 EST 2006

I have some old AIX media back to 4.1 but no 3.0 or 3.1. You can boot  these machines off of Tape, disk or CD. So if you have a tape backup  you are golden.

  From there select perform system maintenance, and select to access the  disks. Then you can echo in a UID 0 account into the password file and  reboot and reset the passwd. or use sed/awk etc.

  Its easier to do it this way than set up the environment to vi the file.

  If you friend is willing to upgrade I can probaly hook you up with some  AIX 4.1, 4.3, or 5.x media. However 5.x may not run on the older  hardware.

  CJP

Caleb Cushing <xenoterracide at gmail.com> wrote:unfortunately  we do not have the original media, and I belive it uses 5" floppies,  I'm not sure if it's capable of 3.5" or not. This machine belongs to a  friend of mine. It was given to him. If anyone has an Idea on how to  get there hands on the original disks... or make them....

On 3/15/06, Erik Gillespie <erik.gillespie at gmail.com> wrote:  If you have the original AIX 3 media you  should be able to boot from the media and go into maintenance mode (one  of the Unix admins here said it's something like option 3 in the menu  that appears).  When you're in you can then just change the  password as you would normally.

Erik