[GLLUG] Emergency Internet connection may be needed tomorrow?

Jeff Lawton Jeff at idealso.com
Tue Mar 21 17:06:31 EST 2006

Obviously your organization relies on bandwidth. With the price of DSL
these days I would recommend a second connection even if they have
something reliable. You could use it throughout the day for an access
point, but in case of an emergency you can easily switch over to it. It
may not be as fast or work as well, but it is better than being dead in
the water. I've suggested this to several companies like insurance firms
who really rely on internet and it seems to work rather well for them.
It is also more cost effect because more than likely if there is a
service that will do an emergency connection like that they will be a
little more expensive in order to rush it, so having a backup may even
be cheaper. Also, in some cases, depending on who you get your DSL
through, you can keep the entry level package all the time, and if you
had to the circuit is there, and you could drastically pump up the
bandwidth, upload and download, to accomodate the needs of the customer.
When they are back in normal operation, we can back it down, and just
charge them for that month of higher rater.

Jeff