[GLLUG] Have multiple domains / hosts on one server

Charles Ulrich charles at idealso.com
Fri May 5 10:39:28 EDT 2006

Lachniet, Mark wrote:
> For what its worth, virtual hosting can be painful, especially if you
> only have one IP address and you want to mix and match HTTP and HTTPS
> sites.  All the documentation I found said it couldn't be done (mixing
> with a single IP) but I somehow got it working anyway.  If someone wants
> a working apache config with virtual hosting I can send one offline.

Mixing HTTP and HTTPS virtual hosts shouldn't be any more difficult than
just having a bunch of HTTP virtual hosts. The only difference is that
you add a bunch of SSL directives to the HTTPS host. (I can provide
working configuration files for the curious.)

The main problem with HTTPS and virtual hosting is that you can't have
more HTTPS virtual hosts than you have IP addresses due to limitations
in how SSL is implemented. This means that if you plan to host more than
one HTTPS site on a box, you *must* use IP-based virtual hosting and
have a separate IP address for each HTTPS site that you wish to host.

--
Charles Ulrich
Ideal Solution, LLC -- http://www.idealso.com