[GLLUG] Desktop wireless PCI recommendations?

STeve Andre' andres at msu.edu
Wed May 10 15:04:15 EDT 2006

On Wednesday 10 May 2006 16:14, Clay Dowling wrote:
> Charles Ulrich said:
> > Benjamin Cathey wrote:
> >>   I need to get a wireless PCI card for a desktop that will be running
> >> debian.  I thought I'd post to see what experiences people have had
> >> before I buy.  I have personnally always tried to stick to linksys when
> >> I can as I like the interface on the routers.  Also I have been able to
> >> get the PCMCIA cards to work pretty well in Deb Sarge.
>
> I don't have my wireless network up yet, but it is my understanding that
> some of the cheap Taiwanese cards have pretty good support, at least in
> OpenBSD.  Apparently the manufacturers are eager for anybody to adopt
> their cards so they're handing out specs like candy.
>
> The cheaper wireless cards at Digilink used to fall into this category.
>
> Clay

Right -- I believe it was the raylink folks that send OpenSBD complete
specs and perhaps cards.  It's interesting to note that the Asian
companies "get" open source, and how such organizations can only
help thir sales, while many (most?) American companies guard
their specs as being somehow special, and resistent to let go...

One thing which I think all companies do which is disgusting, is
change chip sets in mid-manufacture run, such that the XX card
you got last month might not be the same as today.  Companies
seem to think that as long as they provide a Windows driver for
it everything is fine.  I've had some ah, "conversations" with various
places about this practice, and if you see this, you should crab
at them as well.  With enough people doing this, they'll change
their ways but not likely 'till then.   Hardware companies tend to
see the world as Windows, with Macs as this shadowy thing.

--STeve Andre'