[GLLUG] PCI Wireless decision.

Charles Ulrich charles at idealso.com
Wed May 10 22:05:09 EDT 2006

Benjamin Cathey wrote:
>   Okay so I made a decision.  I am going to try the TrendNET (WHO? -
> well let me tell you) TEW-443pi.
>
> According to http://madwifi.org/wiki/Compatibility this card:
>
> "Seems to work perfectly with madwifi on Debian. Tested b/g bands, in
> Managed (client), Master (AP) and Monitor (with kismet) modes. Chipset
> supports Super-G (108Mbs) but I haven't tested that. The manual
> indicates that the TEW-443PI is the PCI version of the TEW-441PC (the
> Cardbus version)."
>
> On top of that you can pick one up for under 30 bucks!
>
> http://www.trendware.com/products/TEW-443PI.htm
>
> If this works it may be the solution to recommend to all your friends. . .

Well it's certainly nice to be proven wrong in this case. :P I guess I
wasn't googling properly or something, because just a few months ago, I
could have swore that couldn't find an atheros chipset PCI card.

I must say, it's not every day you see a page like this on a hardware
vendor's website:

http://www.trendnet.com/support/os_compatibility.htm

Let us know how well the card works, I'll probably pick one up for myself.

I was also looking at a Linksys USB wifi adapter (one that connects via
cable, not the kind that resemble a flash memory stick), but it costs
substantially more and comes in several different versions (chipsets).
The latest version used the ralink open-source drivers, but I'd rather
stick with the madwifi drivers if I can because I know they work well.
--
Charles Ulrich
Ideal Solution, LLC -- http://www.idealso.com