[GLLUG] Great Cheap wireless PCI!

pdwald pdwald at gmail.com
Tue May 23 21:20:58 EDT 2006

I also have a bunch of wifi cards; some made in China, and some
elsewhere (mainly Taiwan). But that is not a factor in terms of quality.
I would be more concerned with brand; good brands like US-Robotics may
have products with a not so rich or even subpar featureset, capabilities
and resources (such as range, strength of signal, UPNP with NAT
Traversal, etc); but usually they have a good team of development and
quality control system in place. All my cards based on atheros have all
features enables, including promiscuous mode (which is not possible with
other chipsets, such as admtek; at least it was not last time I read
about it). Besides almost everything now is made in China nowdays; even
motherboards makers based in Taiwan make their products in China.

I was utilizing Ixchariot for network, but it is a proprietary solution.
Would any have any suggestion of a free one with similar capabilities.

Thanks,

Pedro Wald

--

Comptia A+, Network+, Inet+; MCP; SAIR GNU Linux System Adm. Certified

Key-ID: 500E7A68 (pgp.mit.edu)
Public-Key can be retrived from: compworld.gotdns.com/pgp.html