[GLLUG] imaging drives without making backups?

Michael Watters michael at watters.ws
Wed Nov 8 14:43:59 EST 2006

Benjamin Cathey wrote:
> what would the syntax be for either dd or rsync?  the process?
>
> like I said, two laptops on a network - both using a livecd.  one with a blank hdd and one with a hdd setup to dual-boot winxp and ubuntu (using grub)
>
> hda1 ntfs (winxp)
> hda2 fat32 (ibm partition)
> hda3 fat32 (shared fat32)
> hda4 extended
> hda5 ext3
> hda6 swap
>
> Thanks again
NTFS support in linux isn't the greatest so I'm not sure how rsyncing
the windows partition would work.  For the rest I would just create the
same partitions and rsync them over, rsync can run over ssh so it's
fairly simple.

rsync -av -e ssh root at 192.168.0.2:/mnt/hda2/ /mnt/hda2/ for example.
The trailing slashes do matter.

You may also want to check out g4u or g4l.