[GLLUG] Know any open source graphics software?

Thomas Hruska thruska at cubiclesoft.com
Sun Oct 8 22:38:27 EDT 2006

Thomas Hruska wrote:
> Karl Schuttler wrote:
>> Can you do ice too? That is what I'm really interested in.
>
> Hmm...I've never tried ice (never had a need to).  2D or 3D ice?  And is
> this for text or a planar backdrop?  I've got a couple ideas that might
> work, but I don't know if I can have them ready for a presentation by
> Thursday.  There are lots of techniques I can use to achieve different
> ice effects (some good, others not so good), but I need to know what you
> are hoping to see to focus my efforts.  One technique for text is not
> necessarily a good technique for a flat 2D surface.  In fact, I'd
> probably use two very different approaches to accomplishing the desired
> effect.

Ta-da!  An ice texture in GIMP:

http://www.cubiclesoft.com/Unrelated/Ice.png

Even though it is just a texture, textures can usually form the basis
for creating more complicated objects.

The ice texture is about the same difficulty level as the simple text on
fire.  It would probably take about the same amount of time to do either
one.  I still favor doing fire over ice, but I can do either now that I
know what to do.  Karl e-mailed me off-list to tell me he was joking
about wanting ice, but I figured it would be a useful exercise anyway.
Besides, it looks fairly nice (as far as textures go).

--
Thomas Hruska
CubicleSoft President

Safe C++ Design Principles (First Edition)
Learn how to write memory leak-free, secure,
stable, portable, and user-friendly software.

Learn more and view a sample chapter:
http://www.CubicleSoft.com/SafeCPPDesign/