[GLLUG] evolution & mail clients

Daniel Hedlund daniel at digitree.org
Thu Oct 12 13:26:58 EDT 2006

Caleb Cushing wrote:
> It would be great... if it weren't a server (theres not mine)
> subscription service.

Yes, it would, but I just realized that GPG encryption using javascript
like I had previous suggested might be a bit difficult, at least without
a customized browser plugin.  My reasoning is that javascript shouldn't
be able to access the filesystem to read your GPG key to do the
encryption or signing.  You would have to manually copy and paste it
into a dialog box.  If it was a Firefox plugin or extension, there would
be no need to write it in javascript as it could be just written in C or
whatever native language an open source GPG library is already written.
  It probably wouldn't be that hard to write a shell on top of the GPG
library that would allow you to encrypt or sign an arbitrary bit of text
that is highlighted.  For example, you could design a firefox tensions
where store your keys locally, you could select all the text in a text
area using your mouse or <ctrl>+a, click on a little icon in the status
bar, select the "sign selected", and it would sign the selected text and
allow you to paste the signed text back in.  Optionally, it could
automatically paste the signed text, by automatically trying to delete
selected and then paste for you.  I don't have time to write this, but
someone else might think it's a good enough idea.

Cheers,

Daniel Hedlund
daniel at digitree.org