[GLLUG] Desktop HDD Shortcuts NAMES??

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Tue Oct 17 14:48:31 EDT 2006

On Tuesday 17 October 2006 13:54, after a long battle with technology,
Benjamin Cathey wrote:

Please don't top-post, and trim your posts.  Message rearranged and
trimmed for easier reading:

> >> Aren't those MS-DOS labels? Boot from a Gparted CD, and I bet you
> >> could change them without changing anything else.
> > Forgive me if that's a clueless response, but it does seem just
> > that simple.  I think it's just an imparted MS-DOS label.
> Right - I had considered that but I couldn't give up on the idea that
> Linux MUST be able to modify it (without rebooting into a rescue CD
> like Gparted's LiveCD.)  Since Windows can do it I can't accept that
> Linux can't do it just as easily.

echo -n "NEW_VOLUME1" | dd of=BLAH bs=1 seek=43 count=11
conv=notrunc

...nothing to it, just replace NEW_VOLUME1 with the name you want and
BLAH with the device name of the FAT partition.  Ordinarily, this'd be
in "tunefatfs" but that doesn't exist.  For NTFS, use ntfslabel instead
since the structure is more complex there (XML-like according to
fooling with myod on the NTFS partition on my laptop.  Whoa.)  Note
that doing this while a partition's mounted may or may not cause stupid
things to happen if mounting is done by filesystem label.  HTH,

--
   He is a rhythmic movement of the penguins, is Tux.
   --MegaHAL, trained on random gibberish