Fwd: [GLLUG] IPV6

Charles Ulrich charles at idealso.com
Fri Sep 1 10:44:00 EDT 2006

STeve Andre' wrote:
> This question touches on the question of why people want to change
> kernels in the first place.  In the *BSD world the kernels are configed
> pretty well, and changing things just "because" is a form of knob-
> twiddling, which isn't reasonable.  If you are trying to run on something
> like a 486 box with 32M of ram I suppose snipping things out makes
> a little sense, but on a modern system, why bother?  Random fiddling
> can teach you things,  but I don't do it on any systems that I actually
> *use*.  In six years of OpenBSD I have never had to run something
> other than the stock generic kernel.

When I ran a FreeBSD server at home, there were usually a few things I
needed that didn't come with the generic kernel like SMBFS, Linux /proc
support, and USB 2.0. Since the kernel had to be recompiled anyway, I
usually took the extra few minutes to disable things that I knew I
wouldn't need like profiling, IPV6, the multitude of SCSI and RAID
controllers I'll never own, PCMCIA, AGP, ISA, PNP, wifi cards, etc. In
this case, it makes perfect sense to comment out features that will only
serve to take up time, memory, and disk space.

--
Charles Ulrich
Ideal Solution, LLC -- http://www.idealso.com