[GLLUG] can't su or sux

Reza Beha reza_beha at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 12 19:51:02 EDT 2006

I think it is supposed to be suid.  Here's what it looks like on the Solaris
system I'm using:

bash-2.03$ ls -l /bin/su
-r-sr-xr-x   1 root     sys        21192 Feb  9  2005 /bin/su

A user running a program with the suid bit set starts the program in the
context of the file's owner, but the user is required to pass an authentication
challenge (i.e. know the root pw) in order to switch to the context of root.