[GLLUG] Novell Linux seminar report

Michael Rudas (computer) MPR_Linux at Ameritech.net
Wed Sep 20 23:23:02 EDT 2006

I went to the Novell Linux presentation yesterday (9/19) in Southfield.
Intel was the primary partner sponsor, though IBM was also a major
presence; there were others as well.  I went not only as a Linux end
user, but also because I wanted to see (and learn something about) the
state of corporate/enterprise Linux-- besides, I figured these guys owed
me breakfast & lunch anyway.

You see, for the last 4 years I have used Debian (Sid, currently
installed via Kanotix) and am pretty happy with it-- but I was initially
driven to Knoppix by my utter disgust with SUSE.  When I decided it was
time to get serious about Linux, I purchased a copy of 8.0 Professional
(6 CDs and a DVD!) at Best Buy for $80-- but I never got it to work
fully.  First it wouldn't install (it turns out that it didn't like my
USB mouse), then I could not figure out how to get on-line via DSL.
Despite repeated requests for assistance (and several Google searches),
I received only automated replies, never a live tech (I got the
impression that's been fixed).

The quick view: The subjects covered included SUSE Enterprise Linux
Server 10 (SLES) and SUSE Enterprise Linux Desktop 10 (SLED).  SLES was
first up, with a lot of talk about virtualization, centering on Xen,
which ships with SLES and about the wide range of hardware it supports.
The Intel Core technology supports hardware virtualization due to its
multi-core chips.

There was a lot of discussion of heterogeneous environments, management
tools, Mono, and other server-side stuff, an area that I MUST learn more
about.  The discussion then moved on to SLED.  A very interesting part
of that was a live demo of the XGL stuff-- it was pretty cool to see the
desktops-as-faces-of-a-cube stuff live, as I have not played with it
yet.  It's clear that a lot of study and work have gone into the SLE
desktop to improve usability, and though GNOME is the default desktop,
KDE users are not entirely left out.  It was certainly one of the most
polished user interfaces I have ever seen-- and I've played with quite a
few.

The Novell-customized version of OpenOffice.org has a built-in MS macro
interpreter, so Microsoft Office VB scripts will run as-is (except the
macro viruses, of course).

The SLED "Banshee" media player is based on the RealNetworks open-source
Helix player.  Much was made of the licensing deal between RealNetworks
and Microsoft, as this will soon bring "official" MS media format
support to Linux in general.
One of the things that interested me the most was something called
AppArmor-- basically a firewall for individual applications that
monitored their operation at the kernel level.  The presenter claimed a
performance hit only on the order of 1-2% and much easier setup &
configuration than SELinux.

The attendee pack included evaluation DVDs of both SLES and SLED.  When
registered, Novell provides 60 days of full support for each.

All in all, while I am personally not going to be spending $50 per year
to run SLED, I AM going to try it out-- and I can see how, in the
enterprise, it could be a LOT less expensive overall than Microsoft
Vista & Office.  One presenter said the goal was replacing 90% of the
desktops at 10% of the cost.

I'm glad I went-- I came away pretty excited.  While some of it was
"preaching to the choir", there was enough there to sway neutral to
Microsoft-leaning business users toward Linux, I think.  Supposedly, the
full presentation will soon be available at
http://www.novell.com/linux/yourlinuxtour -- but not yet, as far as I
can tell.