[GLLUG] Meeting Thursday, September 28

Andy Lee ALEE at courts.mi.gov
Tue Sep 26 13:39:45 EDT 2006

Thomas,
 An important thing to remember is that Unix was created by
programmers, for programmers. The OS was created for no larger audience.
Sure it has a larger audience now, but as you say, once it's set, stick
with it. This is from a time when only programmers were allowed to touch
computers.

Even today, users really have no need to know the intricacies of the
OS, and it is our job to provide applications that ensure they never
have to think about how to use a computer, the computer just works. That
does take user interviews and interaction. To interact with the OS
directly does require further knowledge, and that knowledge should be
modeled after the way a programmer thinks. At least that's my view as a
programmer :)