[GLLUG] Slashdot Posting

Chick Tower c.e.tower at gmail.com
Sat Sep 30 20:49:34 EDT 2006

Here's a posting on Slashdot from someone named DigitalHermit.  It sure
sounds familiar, like I've heard it somewhere before.

The entire article and posts can be found at

    http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/06/09/30/173234.shtml

                                Chick
--------------------------------------
Agreed, products should always have names indicating their purpose. We
need to lobby Congress to pass a law. For example, what the hell is a
Buick Regal? Or iPod? Are there peas in an iPod? NO! Then why call it
that. Look at DreamWeaver. What the hell does that have to do with the
web? What's a DreamWeaver? Sounds like some euphemism for LSD or some
shaman witchery. Evolution is an email client? WTF? What's this idiotic
language called Ruby? What the hell does that have to do with
programming? Or Perl? Or Python? Or C?

Here are my suggestions...
Firefox should be "HTTP/FTP/Gopher/Archie/XML Renderer"
DreamWeaver should be "Software for Designing HTTP/XML Format Documents
for Internet Usage"
C should be "Low to Medium Level Computing Language"
Gentoo should be "Linux Distribution for People Who Prefer to Churn
Their Own Butter" (I kid, I kid)