[GLLUG] more Penguicon thoughts

Marshal Newrock marshal at idealso.com
Mon Apr 23 13:46:28 EDT 2007

Overall, the computer lounge was a success.  I think that we should
begin planning for next year now, to avoid the last minute rush.  If
the first meeting of each month is dedicated to penguicon, that should
be sufficient.

So, my thoughts:

1) Terminal server.  Once it was up and running, it was working great.
However, right before the con, it was updated (just updated, not
upgraded to the latest version of ubuntu), which broke it and took
several hours of valiant work by Jeff to fix it.

On a related subject, does anyone know of anything like the load
monitor in gkrellm, except multi-column, so we can have nice large
graphs of load for each CPU?  If we'd had that, we could have displayed
that on the projector.  After all, the terminal server has 8 logical
CPU's.

2) Terminals and related hardware.  More is better.  I'd like a 10%
surplus for next year.  If need be, extras can be stored in rooms.  I
also wouldn't mind seeing better cabling.  A few seconds tying cables
to shorten them would prevent the rat's nest that was at the center of
every quad.  It would also make it easier to quickly remove terminals
to make room for other machines during installfest if need be.

3) Burn Unit.  Largely successful.  The biggest area it fell down in,
though, was that there's only one.  Somehow, next year, we need to be
able to burn several discs at once, whether it's with multiple machines
or a single machine.  There's also UI and admin improvements that can be
made.  If Clay is agreeable, I think this could become a GLLUG project.

4) Printing Station.  Once configured to be on the network and talk to
the printer, it was pretty good, except that the printer in question
does not do network at all well.  Next year, we need to remember to
bring parallel printer cables if it's the same printer.

5) Gaming Station.  There was only one computer there, and it tended to
be a babysitting machine.  I'd like to suggest that next year, if we do
anything with computer gaming, it's not in the computer lounge.
Instead, we could probably get an empty panel room late at night,
similar to what Ars Technica got.  If we have 3 or 4 gaming machines,
possibly with scheduled games and/or talks on gaming on Linux (both
commercial with and without wine, and open-source), I think this would
work out a lot better.  Computer gaming would have to be staffed during
the entire time that it's open, of course.

We could use the space that would be otherwise taken up by Computer
Gaming to have more terminals or more "bring your own computer" space.

6) MythTV.  I think this suffered from lack of attention.  It was just
kind of sitting there.  Occasional demos/talks would be good.  Due to
its need for a CATV connection, it would have to be done in the
Computer Lounge.  Stan, do you think you'd be up to this next year?

7) Installfest.  More successful than we expected.  Made me dislike
Ubuntu.  It was very crowded and difficult to identify the techs.  We
also had a lack of available table space.  Not having Gaming in the
computer lounge, as well as being able to quickly remove terminals,
could help with this.

One thing we may want to do next year is have a stash of snacks and
drinks available for techs, and to have the front desk be manned by a
tech, with as much rotation as possible.  Running around like a chicken
with your head cut off is exhausting.

8) Staffing.  This is going to be a perpetual problem, and I don't have
any quick solutions for this.  Chick did his best, but there was
insufficient resources (aka people) and too many random factors (aka
too much fun to be had at the con, and subsequent mental crispiness).
This will likely be a topic for several Penguicon meetings.  I think we
should start asking for volunteers through Penguicon at large.

That's all for now.

--
Marshal Newrock
Ideal Solution, LLC - http://www.idealso.com