[GLLUG] more Penguicon thoughts

Marshal Newrock marshal at idealso.com
Mon Apr 23 15:21:14 EDT 2007

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 15:05:16 -0400
"Caleb Cushing" <xenoterracide at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think we should petition for help for computer lounge volunteers
> from outside of gllug (maybe the other LUGS and UHACC). We have a
> sizeable group but it make it difficult. especially if your like me
> and the weekend was your vacation, and you don't care about the
> refund for serving 6 hours.

Asking Penguicon at large would help with this.

> I like the Idea of a seperate gaming room. Although I would want it
> to be a permanent installation for the weekend because the hardware
> would be too much to set up and tear down every night. We could also
> take games like Doom 3 (really violent and gory off of our list).
> another option instead of making gaming completely separate is find a
> way to partition it off from the rest of the lounge. this would be
> especially true if we can't get more machines.

There isn't the available space for a permanent gaming room, whether
in a physical room or partitioned off. I'm not going to try to get the
entire ballroom just for the computer lounge.  It would either be in a
room for a few hours after panels are done, or not at all.  I don't see
how the setup and teardown could take more than 15 minutes each, unless
there's complexities in setting up a gaming computer which I'm not
aware of.

Plus, a 24-hour gaming area which is essentially unmonitored (apart
from making sure no one walks off with a gaming machine) becomes a
babysitting station, which is not its purpose.  If we're going to show
off computer gaming on Linux, I don't see that we should have to police
what's on it to make sure there's nothing which might be inappropriate
for an unsupervised child.

As a side note, the computer lounge policy does not yet address
unsupervised children.  This should probably be fixed.

--
Marshal Newrock
Ideal Solution, LLC - http://www.idealso.com