[GLLUG] more Penguicon thoughts

Richard Houser rick at divinesymphony.net
Tue Apr 24 19:29:39 EDT 2007

Stanley C. Mortel wrote:
> My thoughts based on what I've read from all of you:
>
> Richard -  Sure, let's do a MythTV panel.  By next year I hope and plan
> to have it implemented at home with all of its feature set.

I'll plan on it then.  I'll look into scheduling and the like sometime
late fall or early winter when all that stuff starts coming around.

> Chick - I'm all for widening the scope of volunteers to other LUGs.  We
> should somehow minimally check on the character of those doing security
> and the credentials of those doing tech. support.  Just a bit of Due
> Diligence.  Also, maybe we could implement a backup plan, with an "on
> call" person for a 4 hour time block to be called if the next volunteer
> doesn't show up.  It would be good to do something so that the last
> security person doesn't get stuck holding the bag if someone is a no-show.

I love the idea of an on-call person.  That's a lot more fair than
someone getting an extra hour or two tacked onto their shift due to a
no-show.  In my case, I had to be leaving the building shortly at an
unknown time (was waiting for the call).  I really couldn't be counted
on to finish off an extra shift, as I needed to get back at the
convenience of an old schoolmate that was letting me crash at his place.

> Perhaps we could do something like an Edubuntu install for the
> youngsters, with whatever "age appropriate" OSS we can come up with.
> They are, after all, the soon-to-be techies that we should reach out
> to.  If that is baby sitting, then fine - just another small service we
> provide.  Adequate signing should result in youngsters going to the
> "proper" machines.  We might also have them on the tables that divide
> the lab from the Chaos Machine area, maybe facing outward.  Then if
> security sees kids heading into the lounge proper, they can direct them
> to the Edubuntu box(es).  If they face out, the users would be a bit
> less likely to intentionally call up XXX content on the screen.

Again, another great idea.  If we were to get an additional table added
all along the width of the dividing table wall, we would have enough
room to place kid-friendly machines all down that wall.  Tuxracer,
tuxtype2, tuxpaint, kdeedu, a selection of OSS games, and some basic
productivity applications would go a long way.  I think sacrificing the
more mature content from the projector and facing all the gaming
machines away from the chaos would be a more than reasonable compromise
that could work for everyone, kids included.