[GLLUG] computer gaming at Penguicon

Marshal Newrock marshal at idealso.com
Wed Apr 25 11:52:32 EDT 2007

It looks like as we circle round and round on this topic, we slowly
begin to approach consensus.

As has been pointed out, while Penguicon is not kid-hostile, neither
does it claim to be kid-friendly.  If we set up "kid-friendly"
machines, it might be implied that we're accepting responsibility for
the kids, and that's not something we want to do.  Also, space is
limited, and I'd rather reserve as much space as possible for the
Installfest, although it's difficult to say if it will be as possible
if Ubuntu doesn't release a new version at the same time as Penguicon.
I'm guessing it will.

On the other hand, there's a number of games which are simple and
low-cpu, and which could run on the terminals.  If we simply avoid any
3D games, we've probably got a very good selection.  I don't think that
would be inappropriate use of the terminals, as long as there's usually
some free.  Next year, if the hotel wireless is up to par, the computer
lounge may see less use.  They've got a year to implement the plan that
was given to them, so we shall see.

I think the biggest problem with computer gaming was a lack of
scheduled events.  Similar to MythTV, without events and demos, it was
just another computer.  I know at least one person attempted to use it
as a terminal.  And as just another computer, it didn't advocate
computer gaming on Linux at all, it was just a place for people
(especially kids) to play.  So scheduled talks could do much for this.
To restate my original thought of having it in a different room, I
don't think most people would care if it's only available for a few
hours on one night.  Most people didn't come to the con to play games.

I'm not vehemently opposed to having it in the computer lounge itself,
but the question is, what kind of draw would a demonstration of
computer gaming on Linux have?  I'm simply not sure there'd be adequate
space.

Nothing needs to be decided now, of course.  We have at least half a
year to decide, and it also depends on the final hotel plans.

--
Marshal Newrock
Ideal Solution, LLC - http://www.idealso.com