[GLLUG] Electronics - Wii Remote on Linux

Jason Watson watson.jason at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 20:31:18 EDT 2007

If my memory serves me right, IR LED's usually have a smaller voltage
drop (~1 - 1.5V) compare to common red LED's (~2V).  You'll need to
wire a resistor in series with the LED to limit current and to drop
the excess voltage from your supply.  More current will give you more
brightness up to the spec'd limit of the LED (more than that and
you'll decrease the life of the LED or completely smoke it).  20 -
25mA is usually a good round and safe target to start out with.
Assuming you are using a 9V batt for the supply and the LED drops 1V
that leaves you with 8V dropped across the resistor.  8V / 20mA gives
you a 400 ohm resistance value.  390 or 430 ohm 1/4 watt are the
closest standard resistor values.